Dairy free/vegan 'cheesy' tahini sauce
As far as favourite foods go for me, cheese is pretty high on the list. Not only is it amazing on it's own but it can elevate almost any food with it's addition. Unfortunately for me, the older I get the worse my lactose intolerance seems to get and cheese is a less frequent occurrence.
I love substituting nutritional yeast where I can for cheese, it's a great plant based source of protein and b vitamins. With it's powdered consistency though, I found it challenging to 'top' food with it like you would with cheese. This sauce makes it much easier to just squirt it over anything where you would typically add cheese. The flavour is nice and strong too so a little goes a long way!
I also love that this recipe is a great source of healthy fats. As someone with a reasonable number of food sensitivities, sometimes I find my fat sources lack a lot of variety. As much as I love peanut butter, eating it at every meal is just not sustainable or enjoyable. Next time you're finding it hard to bump those fat macros up, try adding this as a topping to your favourite meal.
- 1/4 cup of tahini
- 2 tbsp of nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 3 tbsp of lemon juice
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1.5 tsp salt
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until combined
- Taste first to see if you want any more seasoning, I sometimes like to add a touch more garlic or lemon juice if I'm feeling a really strong flavour
- Put in a jar or squeeze bottle and use throughout the week
Macros (per 2 tbsp or 30g serving): 4p/2c/12f
Recommended uses (this is by no means an exhaustive list):
- Top eggs, personal preference is over a poached egg that you've added to avocado toast
- Use as a dressing for a salad or grain bowl
- Use as a burger topping in place of cheese and mayo
- Use as a pasta sauce, I love it with gnocci
- Use as a 'cheese sauce' for veggies (broccoli or cauliflower are my favs), works really well for picky kids (or husbands)