Coffee Overnight Oats
Whenever someone asks me my favourite food I always say oats. I'm pretty sure people think I'm kidding since most consider oatmeal to just be a plain, boring breakfast cereal. I find quite the opposite, oats are a very easy base that you can customize to both your flavour and nutrition preference. The best part about this recipe is you can make it ahead of time so your busy mornings just got a bit easier! I like to heat up but you can easily eat cold, especially if you take it on the go.
- 2 cup of oats
- 2 1/2 cups of milk (or milk alternative, I use cashew milk)
- 2 tbsp flax seeds
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- 2 - 3 tbsp instant coffee* (depending on how strong of a coffee flavour you prefer), I like to get the french vanilla flavour for a bit extra flavour
- 2 - 3 tbsp maple syrup (depending on how sweet you like it)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Add all ingredients into a large tupperware container and stir everything together until well combined.
- Place in the fridge for at least 12 hours to allow the oats to soak up the liquid to create the 'cooked' texture.
Macros (I divide into 4 servings): 8p/39c/9f and 8g of fibre
Toppings to increase carbs:
- Banana (for lots more carbs)
- Berries (for only a bit more carbs)
Toppings to increase fats:
- Pecans or other nuts
- Pumpkin seeds
- Nut butter
- Hemp seeds
- Top with greek yogurt or cottage cheese
- Serve with eggs
- Serve with protein shake (could also mix the protein powder into the oats, just make sure with whey the oats are not too hot or it will clump)
*instant coffee will have caffeine, depending on how much you like to consume on a daily basis you may want to consider trying it with decaf.