Please don't judge me for what I'm about to say. I don't really LOVE rice. I'm not sure if it's my Irish heritage but I've always been more of a potato person. I've always found rice to be a bit bland and never something that got me excited. I clearly was not making the right rice because this coconut rice has quickly become a go to item that I've been making every week.
The coconut milk does not add a strong coconut flavour, instead it creates a richer flavour similar to what you would find if you added butter. Additionally, the extra fat creates the best fluffy texture.
It's an extremely versatile and easy item to prep ahead of time and eat throughout the week. It's also a great way to get extra fats if you're struggling to add those into your meals.
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk (can substitute for a 400ml can of light coconut milk)
- 3/4 cup of water (exclude if using light coconut milk)
- Combine coconut milk, water and a pinch of salt into a small pot
- Rinse the basmati rice in a fine mesh strainer until the water runs clear
- Add the rice to the liquid and bring to a boil
- Once boiling, cover and reduce heat allowing the rice to simmer for 13 minutes
- Once done, fluff with a fork and leave covered until ready to serve
Macros: for 1/4 of recipe, 5p/39c/12f